3.26.2009

Jessica MB

Hello, I'm Jessica (Mary) Baucom and Jessica MB is my design firm currently based out of in Salt Lake City, Utah.

I am involved in many fields in the art and design industry, yet I primarily work in interior design.  I do have experience in graphic design, event planning, floral design, as well as multiple art mediums.

After receiving a bachelors degree from the University of Utah in Fine Art in the spring of 2006. I went on to study at Parsons in New York City where I received my graduate degree in Interior Design by the winter of 2007.

While in school at Parsons I also started my business, Jessica MB, so I could start working as an independent interior designer.  The projects I worked on while living and working out of my apartment in Brooklyn ranged from refurbishing a condo in White Plains, New York to over-hauling a historical cottage in East Hampton, New York 

As well as begining and running my business in New York, I also found work as a freelance designer for multiple design firms and architects.  See links below:

While at 8.8 Design I worked closely with the principal designer, Carly Yates, on every aspect of her business.  From drafting and planning to meeting with clients and working with vendors my experience at 8.8 was varied, challenging, and always interesting.

My introduction to the two principal architects at KWD, Malliaka Kim & Agusts Wendell, was in an advanced design studio class at Parsons.  They were my professors that semester where they pushed all of us to quickly learn and master 3d Studio Max for our final project, an Editing House.  Gratefully once the semester was over they asked me to be involved in their new firm as a draftsman as well as assist in design development.

I. Ray Design
My first design work experience working in New York was my internship with Marla at I. Ray Design.  There I helped set up Marla's new computers, printer, and filing system at her home office.  Once completing that internship I later worked with I. Ray Design as a freelance draftsman.  The largest project I worked on was a 15,000 square foot mountain home in Montana for which I did a full set of hand drawn construction documents including floor plans, elevations, and lighting plans.

Before moving to New York I began working as an intern at a small high end firm in Salt Lake in the spring of 2003.

While at Johnson and Hodson I went from organizing fabrics and picking up lunch to managing jobs and working with clients.  Today I still work with Johnson and Hodson as a Freelance Junior Designer.

For the past year or so I have been involved in the "Interior Motives" posts for this local art, design, food, music (and much more) blog.  I am able to come up with and report on what ever seems to be current and interesting to Your Heart Out readers.  I also respond to design questions sent in by readers.

It has been 5 or so years since I first became involved with the Utah Herritage Foundation.  Beginning with volunteering to guide tours for their annual Historic Home Tours that take place in the Salt Lake area (which I continued to do); I have also been involved as a designer on their "Moderne Christmas Home Tour" in December of 2006.